1. “Mexico: Authorities used illegal force and sexual violence to silence women protesting against gender-based violence” – Tania Reneaum and the Amnesty team on the Mexican feminist movement and how authorities are trying to discredit women protests by resorting to the same kind of violence that detonated them. The story in Amnesty International.
2. “Love Tequila and Mezcal? Drink In These Other Agave Spirits” – Kara Newman shares delicious cocktail recipes for other Mexican agave-based spirits (comiteco, raicilla, bacanora & sotol) and delves into their origins. The story in Wine Enthusiast.
3. “Grasshoppers and roadblocks: Coping with Covid-19 in rural Mexico” – Jeff Grabmeier on new research by Ohio State University’s professor Jeffrey Cohen on how indigenous communities in Oaxaca are organizing themselves to fight the pandemic when there is little to no government support. The story in Ohio State News
4. “I dreamed of living with a lover in the mountains far from civilization” – Alix-Rose Cowie talks to with Mexican artist Pilar Córdoba Longar about the her childhood and inspiration for her knitted work. The story in WePresent.
5. “What is a birria taco and where can I get them in Vancouver?” – Lindsay William-Ross on the new Mexican food fad: the quesabirria. A mix between a stewed meat dish and a quesadilla has made it all the way up to Vancouver. The story in Vancouver is Awesome.
* Around the Web is a weekly list of must-read content about all things Mexico. Curation by Roberto Bosoms. Twitter: @RBosoms